About the programme
Women+ in the Geospatial industry experience and carry shared struggles, successes, and stories – everyday and everywhere.
The annual W+G Mentorship Programme is an international initiative that brings together women+ who want to connect and grow with one another to thrive in their Geospatial careers. We provide guidance, tools, and opportunities through which our cohort members can develop meaningful relationships and achieve their goals together.
To improve the accessibility of mentorship opportunities to women+ in the global geospatial sector, this programme is free of charge.
women+ in geospatial empowered
We support two mentorship models: one-to-one mentoring and group-based peer mentorship.
- Two people
- One mentor who provides mentorship
- One mentee who receives mentorship
- Groups of up to 5 people
- All members provide peer mentorship for one another
The women in my mentorship group have really supported me (and held me accountable) in growing through our monthly challenges and discussions. – Ariel Low, peer mentor, 2021.
Become part of the W+G mentorship programme community
Information for Applicants
What to expect
We are excited to support you in making the most out of your mentorship journey. If you are selected for the Programme, you should expect to commit to:
- Regular meetings: with your mentor / mentee / peer mentors – once a month at the minimum
- Engagement with the whole cohort, including contributing to Slack discussions on the Mentorship channel and attending cohort video calls
- Creating a legacy, for yourself and for our community of women+ in geospatial. For example, by completing a project of your choosing, or writing / recording a testimonial
- Consistent communication, with your Mentorship Coordinator and active participation in the Programme until the end of term in July
Who can apply
We welcome all who identify as women or are from underrepresented genders to apply to the programme as either a mentor or mentee. This includes cis women, trans women, trans men, non-binary individuals, and those who are otherwise marginalized.
Cis-men are encouraged to share their knowledge and experience as mentors in the programme. Unfortunately we cannot support mentees who are cis-men.
As this is an international programme, you may be matched with a mentorship partner who is not near your home location. Please ensure you are equipped for regular voice or video meetings throughout the programme.
I was able to meet my mentor at an international industry conference. She had so much time for me and really boosted my confidence. - Madeleine Hann, mentee, 2021
How to apply
As an applicant, you are evaluated based on the information provided in your application form. You would be matched based on your areas of expertise, the skills and knowledge you wish to develop, as well as other practical considerations (e.g. time zones).
What Makes a Successful Application?
Your application is scored based on your responses to the following questions:
- Why do you want to take part in the Mentorship Programme?
- If you are selected for the Mentorship Programme, what do you hope to achieve by the end?
The remaining questions serve to ensure an effective matching – make sure the information you provide is accurate (e.g. your time zone).
Grammatical mistakes are not penalized as long as they don’t affect comprehension.
There is limited capacity in our programme; applicants with higher scores are more likely to be invited to join the cohort.
Applications for the next W+G mentorship programme edition open in August / September 2022. In the meantime, you can sign up for our newsletter:
Forging a geospatial community where all genders can thrive.Inspire. Unite. Empower.